top of page


Until June 30 - Thursday-Sunday 9am - 5pm
July 1 - September 2 - 7 Days a Week 9am - 5pm


No. 31 Bombing and Gunnery School

The site, now known as the Base31 cultural destination, was built by the Canadian government and originally operated by the British Royal Airforce as No. 31 Bombing and Gunnery School -- RAF Station Picton. It was built in 1940 as part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan that trained aircrews from the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand during World War II. The 70-acre site includes more than 40 former barracks, mess halls, hangars and administrative buildings. It is part of an approximately 750-acre property. In its next chapter it will serve as home to one of the nation’s largest revitalization projects.



From 1946 until 1962, Camp Picton, currently Base 31, was the base that stationed the Royal Canadian School of Artillery (Anti-Aircraft) (RCSA(AA)). Operational artillery units, being the 127th and 128th Medium AA Batteries, the Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA) and the 2nd and 3rd Light AA Batteries of the 1st Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (RCA), along with a small detachment of the RCAF called Camp Picton home. The school provided training for artillery instructors, gunnery radar operators, anti-aircraft gunners, and technical assistants. The RCAF provided aircraft targets for gunners training.


Avro CF-105 Arrow Model Testing

When the 11 Avro CF-105 Arrow models were brought to Prince Edward County for testing, they were housed at the base under security of the RCSA(AA) and RCAF. When testing occurred, the test models were convoyed to Point Petre by members of the base. And, some individuals stationed at the base were present at Point Petre to witness the test model launches. (Photo Credit: Ingenium; HS-70213)


The Evolution of the Site

In 1962, the First Battalion of the Canadian Guards utilized the base and the site was renamed Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Picton. The site was decommissioned as a military base in 1969 and sold to former Mayor of Picton, H. J. McFarland. He renamed it Loch-Sloy Business Park in honour of his Scottish heritage.

The site transferred ownership again in 1999 but the name was adapted to Loch-Sloy Business Park and Airport. Loch Sloy Holdings Limited Inc. under the management of Jacqui Burley is credited with preserving many of the site's heritage buildings and adapting them for flexible industrial and commercial spaces.

Today, the site is a major cultural destination, hosting concerts by Canada’s top musicians, public art and galleries, nighttime experiences, food and drink establishments, outdoor leisure and play areas, children’s programming, historic tours and space for commercial and industrial operations. In 2025, Base31 will open a museum celebrating the site’s heritage and the role that it has played within the local community, the nation and globally

coming in may 2025

explore 'The Ones We Met - Inuit Traditional Knowledge and the Franklin Expedition', on loan from the Canadian Museum of History.
South Shore Joint Initiative

26-343 County Road 22 Picton, ON K0K 2T0
+1-613-476-3064 |
Until June 30 - Thurs-Sun 9am - 5pm
July 1 - Sept 2 - 7 Days a Week 9am - 5pm

bottom of page